Michael Avenatti Says He Won't Run For the White House in 2020

Michael Avenatti says he won't run for president in 2020

The outspoken lawyer representing porn star Stormy Daniels in her legal battle against President Donald Trump, said today that he will not run for president in 2020. 

"After consultation with my family and at their request, I have decided not to seek the Presidency of the United States in 2020," Avenatti posted on Twitter Tuesday afternoon. "I do not make this decision lightly - I make it out of respect for my family."

Avenatti had floated the possibility of running for the presidency on the Democratic ticket in 2020 earlier this year, after shooting to fame representing Daniels in her lawsuit against Trump. Daniels, who claimed she had an affair with Trump more than a decade ago, said she was paid off to keep quiet about her affair prior to the 2016 presidential election. 

The outspoken lawyer said, his family's concern is why he decided not to run. 

"But for their concerns, I would run," Avenatti wrote. 

 

Avenatti made it clear he wasn't leaving the public eye anytime soon. He wrote that he would continue to represent Daniels in her lawsuit against Trump, and that he won't rest until Trump and his cronies are "removed from office, and our republic and its values are restored." 

"I will also continue with my nearly twenty years of speaking truth to power and representing those who need an advocate against the powerful." 

Avenatti voiced concerns about the possible Democratic nominee for president in 2020, writing in the release that, "I remain concerned that the Democratic Party will move toward nominating an individual who might make an exceptional President but has no chance of actually beating Donald Trump. The party must immediately recognize that make of the likely candidates are not battletested and have no real chance at winning." 

"I remain hopeful the party finds one," Avenatti said. 

The 47-year-old attorney has also found himself in hot water recently. He was arrested on Nov. 14 in Century City, California on suspicion of felony domestic violence - a charge that Avenatti has repeatedly and vehemently denied. The Los Angeles District Attorney's Office has declined to file any charges against him, and has referred the case to the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office for consideration and review for possible misdemeanor charges.  

Following his arrest, Avenatti told reporters that he had "never struck a woman." 

"I have been an advocate for women's rights my entire career, and I'm going to continue to be an advocate. I am not going to be intimidated from stopping what I am doing. I am a father to two beautiful, smart daughters. I would never disrespect them by touching a woman inappropriately or striking a woman. I am looking forward to a full investigation at which point I am confident that I will be fully exonerated."

Photo: Getty Images

title

Content Goes Here