click on the photo to read the full story
The Matanuska-Susitna School Board has removed five books off the elective curriculum for high school student and removed materials from a national newspaper from being used as a teaching resource.
Board members voted 5-2 to ban the titles at their regular meeting on Wednesday night. Board members Sarah Welton and Kelsey Trimmer were the dissenting votes.
The books are:
- "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou
- "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- "The Things They Carried" by Tim O’Brien
- "The Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison
- "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller